Friday 15 April 2016

What are the odds?

Reverse chronology.
An account of five different incidences that occurred in the past month.

***

I woke up in the morning with a tune on replay in my head. Subconsciously, I started humming it all morning. In the shower, while having breakfast, walking to uni. I met up with a couple of friends who gather weekly for outreach event on campus. "Let us all turn to Romans 8:11"

Romans 8:11
And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you.

Did I mention that I just read Ephesians 1:18-20 the very same morning?  

Ephesians 1:18-20
I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms.

Back to the story of the tune. The lyrics of the song?

By Your spirit I will rise from the ashes of defeat
The resurrected king is resurrecting me
In Your name I come alive to declare your victory

How coincidental, or not?

***

The worship leader sang the first line of the song, and there I stood, speechless. Tears started rolling down my cheeks uncontrollably. This must be the Spirit working, I thought, how did I even knew the song before he started singing?
Well, long story short, what happened during that Sunday service was that while we were singing one of the worship songs, a tune came into my head, and I just had this weird feeling that I NEEDED to know what the song was. I continued humming it in my head and all of a sudden it all came to me. Little did I know that this would be the next song we'd sing, and little did I know that God had a message in that song. For me.

Hope which was lost, now stand renewed.

Psalm 8:4
What is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them?

***

I stared at the lecturer blankly. I couldn't understand a single thing he was saying. My mind was racing. My following two weeks are jammed packed. And mid-semester exams is the on the weekend two weeks from now. I couldn't see how I would even be possible to find time to study for my exams, or complete my assignments. I walked out of class extremely demotivated. I couldn't see beyond this huge mountain. And that was when I asked God for help. Walking home, I fired up my Spotify. A song that I've never heard before (the wonders of Spotify) came on.

Peace be still you are with me
In this hope I abide
Jesus be my sustainer
Strengthen me in this trial

Tryin' hard to picture in my head God being the DJ and modifying my Spotify playlist.

***

This is my prayer in the desert
When all that's within me feels dry
This is my prayer in the fire
In weakness or trial or pain

I was reading a book that quoted this song while telling a story of a mother whom after many years of wanting a child, finally got one but passed away few days later due to health complications. Despite all the mourning and weeping, she decided to stay strong in God and sang this very song. 

All of my life
In every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship

Right after getting to the end of the chapter, I left home, headed for cell group and guess what, God never stop the surprises. The worship team was just going through the final round of practice for the night. Lo and behold they sang "All of my life, in every season…"

***

I struggled with things that I don't even know how to put into words, especially in my faith journey. Ironically, I ended up spending more time than ever seeking God, wanting to know that what I've believed in for the past years is true.

Silence. Not a single word.

I came to a point of desperation (or helplessness) that I pretty much just prayed the first thing that came into mind. "Lord, if everything else fails, speak to me through music. Amen."

Everything else is history. 

No comments:

Post a Comment